If you have the same problem with the function keys and you can’t adjust the brightness of your screen using the function key dedicated to this purpose, this article will help you solve the problem. But first it is important to understand the possible causes of this problem to avoid it from happening again.
|Norton Secure VPN 2023 for up to 5 Devices
Common causes of brightness function key problems
Before diving into the solutions, it is essential to understand the causes of the brightness function key not working on Windows 11/10. Some of the common reasons are as follows:
- Outdated or missing graphics card driver: Your graphics card driver plays a crucial role in controlling the display settings. If the driver is outdated or missing, it can cause problems with the function keys, including the brightness function key.
- Faulty keyboard driver: The keyboard driver is also responsible for controlling the function keys. If the keyboard driver is not working properly, the function keys may not work properly.
- Inadequate system updates: System updates are crucial to fix various bugs and problems in the operating system. If your system is not up to date, it may cause problems with the function keys.
- Setting conflicts: Setting conflicts can also cause problems with the function keys. This occurs when two or more parameters conflict with each other, causing the function keys to stop working.
How to fix the brightness function key on Windows 11/10
1. Update the graphics card driver
To update the graphics card driver, you need to know the model of your graphics card. You can do this by right-clicking on the Windows icon and selecting “Device Manager”. Look for the “Display Adapters” option and you will see the model of your graphics card.
Once you know the model of your graphics card, visit the manufacturer’s official website and download the latest driver. Install the driver and restart your computer to check if the brightness function button works.
2. Update the keyboard driver
If updating the graphics card driver does not solve the problem, try updating the keyboard driver. To update the keyboard driver, you must first know the model of your keyboard.
You can do this by right-clicking on the Windows icon and selecting “Device Manager”. Look for the “Keyboards” option and you will see your keyboard model. After that, visit the website of your keyboard driver manufacturer and download the latest version.
3. Install system updates
System updates are important because they fix various bugs and problems in the operating system. Updating your system can solve the problem with the brightness function key.
To check and install system updates, click on the Windows icon and select “Settings”. Go to “Update and Security” and click on “Check for Updates”. If updates are available, install them and restart your computer to check if the brightness function button works.
4. Resolve setting conflicts
Setting conflicts occur when two or more settings conflict with each other, causing the function keys to stop working. To resolve setting conflicts, go to “Settings” and select “System”. Go to “Power and Standby” and click on “Additional Power Settings”. From there, you can adjust the power settings and resolve conflicts.
Also check out :